Tuesday, December 27, 2005

The Impetuous Squirrel

I have this little problem....It's that very strange things tend to happen to me with creatures from the animal kingdom. No, nothing like that. Small, tedious creatures seem to get mixed up with me. It's definitely an erie pattern. I've mulled over contacting a spiritual advisor about this, because it seems almost karmic - it's like I'm covered in sugar to attract exactly what I want to stay away from me. A very kind male once suggested that it's because I have this "life-force" about me that attracts other beings...I thought that was very generous of him. He said that as humans we think that certain beings are "bad" - like rodents or bugs - but that they are just "beings" after you remove our social constructs. Beings that carry diseases and venom.

But on to the impetuous squirrel at the public zoo.

I was unassumingly standing by the seals, outdoors, leaning on the rail, and before I could even feel it a squirrel started climbing up my leg. I screamed of course and shook it off and it quickly ran away. Luckily it was fall and I was wearing heavy clothes. But now, I can't see a squirrel without suspecting it's sizing me up for a potential pounce.

The thing is, I don't know what that squirrel wanted with me. I wasn't holding any peanuts or anything.

Last summer, I was sitting in the park with a very nice man, having a long conversation under a tree. I was very enmeshed in the conversation however I was starting to notice that a squirrel was hanging around a few feet away from us and just kept staring and I started getting very unsettled. Being a peace-lover, this gentleman did not chase the squirrel away, but assured me a few times that it wasn't going to come near me. But that squirrel harshed my mellow. I just wanted it to go away, and it stayed there the whole time fidgeting with unspoken desire to - what? - we didn't have any food on us either.

A few days later, I was on the phone with this man, and a squirrel climbed onto my window ledge, wanting in. Luckily, my window was closed. The strange part is that I live on the third floor, so it had been ambitious enough to climb all the way up here, all for naught.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home